Entries are now open for the Continuum X/Natcon 53 amateur short story competition, sponsored by Australian Science Fiction Foundation!
Since 1992 the Australian Science Fiction Foundation (ASFF) has provided sponsorship funds to the Australian National Science Fiction Convention (The Natcon) to run an Amateur SF competition. We are pleased to announce the Continuum X short story competition, with cash prizes going to adult and junior winners, along with publication in the conbook.
Theme: An empty field one day, the next filled with a riot of colour and noise, the smell of sawdust and fairyfloss, a feeling of excitement and anticipation! The circus, no matter what world you’re from draws everyone in with the promise of incredible acts and the allure of running away to a more interesting life. Full of the weird and fantastic in its truest sense, you never know what you’ll find or discover about yourself. Things aren’t always what they appear to be at the carnival, dark things hide in the shadows.
Whether it’s a far moon in some remote galaxy or a time long past made golden by memory, come, tell your tale. Before the circus disappears as suddenly as it arrived.
Please note the initial published deadline was incorrect, entries must be recieved by midnight 27th April 2014.
- Stories must be no more than 3000 words
- Stories must be speculative and fit the theme of “once the carnival’s been to town, nothing is ever the same…”
- Stories must not be previously published. No simultaneous entries.
- “Amateur” means the writer must have received no payment other than contributor copies and other incidentals (coffee mug, t-shirt, poster, etc) for any work they may have had published
- Only original fiction will be accepted — no fan fiction or other derivative or transformative works.
- Writers can enter more than one story, but only one story per writer can win a prize
- Stories must follow usual formatting eg 12pt Times New Roman, double spaced
- The stories will be blind-read so please ensure your name is not present on the story, in either the body or the header
- Stories must be submitted by email in DOC, DOCX, PDF or RTF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight 27th April 2014
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
- The judges are unable to give feedback on submissions
- Winning entries will be published in the Continuum X conbook. Authors maintain copyright over their work.